Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mateus Rosé

I have always felt a special connection with sparkling beverages probably because they are so lively that they can cheer you up fast. I woke up today feeling a little bit down because I know my days as a student have ceased and that a new world of responsibility and uncertainty already began. So, I bought this random looking wine bottle from Landmark and took it home.The green bottle caught me off guard thinking it was a bottle of white wine until  I later found out it was actually a bottle of rosé wine.



Basically, rosé wine is wine made from the juice of either white varieties of red wine grapes or from normal red wine grapes provided that the juice is only left in contact with the grape skins for a short period.

When I opened the bottle and poured it in the wine glass, I was  surprised to see bubbles... it was a sparkling wine! The color of the wine was a brilliant sunset-dark amber and it smelled of citrus fruits and like Port, smells like raisins too (no wonder though because the same grape varieties are used) It wasn't sweet but what it lacks in sweetness, it makes up for its crispness (think apples and lemons) and fruitiness so I think it's a great wine for the Pinoy palate (not to mention it was fairly priced). The finish surprisingly, even if it was a young wine, was a bit slow leaving an after taste similar to lemons. The fizz was a great bonus too! It wasn't as bubbly or fizzy as an Asti since according to their website, Mateus was just a "slightly sparkling wine" from Portugal. Apparently, it was also stocked in Saddam Hussein's palaces because he liked to drink it too.


It was an enjoyable wine good I think, as an aperitif, or with seafood. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment