Tuesday, April 26, 2011

R and R

I've began my training as a sommelier yesterday and I wouldn't want to jinx it by saying that I think this is something which I'd really like doing. It's almost electrifying to see and hold the wines we have studied before. I can't believe I'm actually holding Dom Perignons, Chateuneuf de Papes, Alsatian Wines, Quinta Do Noval Vintage ports, Sherries... etc. some wines, I wouldn't even dare holding such as the 1.4 Million Peso Petrus or the 240,000 Peso Dominus.

Although I am having a lot fun, even though it's just my second day of training, I feel exhausted... extremely exhausted... Who wouldn't be after trying to find 5 different bottles of rare wines in 7 different cellar rooms with wine cabinets going almost all the way up to the ceiling? LOL

It's times like this that I'd like to have something really relaxing before I sleep. like a nice Genmaicha (Japanese Brown Rice Tea)... Genmaicha has this really nice aroma of roasted rice, popcorn, and tea. It's flavor is surprisingly mild, smoky, and relaxing. Its color is a relaxing yellow-green reminding the drinker of either rice fields or the grass at the Sunken Garden of UP in December. I love it either warm or cold, depending on the weather, but its temperature affects its flavor too. Cold Genmaicha somehow makes the tannins and tea flavor more powerful while warm Genmaicha raises the smoky flavor to the surface.

Cheers! :) pictures next update :)

No comments:

Post a Comment